Friday, July 16, 2010

before the break of dawn.....

So I was thinking of the fat man running. Early in the morning - when a Viking like me is on the cusp of waking. My mind is a blur of weird dreams and interesting thoughts. When the dawn comes you either run or you don't. It is that simple. What you have is either the desire to go out and explore the depths of your psyche and mine the lower levels of your desire - or you don't.
I have gone through somewhat of a change mind you over the last 7 months. In the beginning I was a slave to the run. If I did not run then I knew that the end of the equation was a crushing mass of pain, anguish, and misery. In the middle of the training for Big Sur - I experienced a loss of a whole week of running. The demons were lurking, laughing, craving the broken bones and weeping soul.
I survived the Big Sur - the bucking, twisting, curling, 95% grade.
Each day that I run is a good day. Some days are better because my mind is wrapped into what I am doing. The trash is getting taken out and disposed of in a prompt fashion. Things click and lock into place and the miles melt before you, until you are at your goal for the day and you are done.
The race is before you and you know that you can do it. Your demons have been put into a rest home and are sipping out of straws because of the beating you have administered on your way to reaching your goal.
That is the glory of the run, that is the road of gold paved in the burnt shoe rubber of the every day run. That is the brilliant streaking fireball of desire that grows with each step until it is all consuming.
Snatching, grabbing, clawing, sweating, goo-eating, rubber burning, muscles screaming, pedal to the metal, grinding, exalting run.
That is how the fat man does it.

3 comments:

  1. Why don't you write about the Sprint Triathlon? Or the long runs? Or how many potato bugs you've counted on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Demons OUT! :) Miss those Sat AM runs with you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good heavens. I wonder if I'll ever like running...

    ReplyDelete