Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The individual

6 Miles - 1:01:30.
Today was my mid-long run of the week. Running goes along with training and the training builds from short, to medium, to short, to a long run on the weekend.
Chat came with me today - no deer up in the canyon for him to love.
I use running as a time to puzzle things out and to get things sorted into bins for the day. I think about work, God, family, and processes and not in any certain order. I think today was one of those picturesque, thoughtful days. I began at the stop sign by the capitol building and began my run up the canyon. Past the rangers station, and up to mile marker two. In the morning, in the winter, you start in the dark and end in the less-dark time of the day. It is also 25 degrees and if you don't move you freeze. But I digress. In the summer months I have found that you start in the nearly dark, almost dawn, and end in the full blaze of the early morning. Which is not bad. Going north into City Creek canyon, right about mile 1.75 past the gate I saw something that was fairly beautiful and was really moving. I was headed north, and at mile post 2 is where a large field opens up. But it was not quite there. Like I said it was .25 short of that. The sun began to show directly onto the road and it was if the road was golden in color and drenched in flaming fire. I won't compare it to the Wizard of Oz because that would be just sacrilegious, but it was close.
Running on a golden road of sun and earth you wonder if there could be anything better than that.
My wife has a quote about "peak experiences." All along the way in life you need to strive for those peak experiences and really put your all into it.
The Golden Road day was one of those sublime experiences that would never have happened had I stayed at home and not gone out to get that experience.
Even Fat Men running have good days.

No comments:

Post a Comment