Monday, June 28, 2010

Where do two feet begin?

So, you can look at the title and see what the content is going to be about. Fat Man Running. Of course Blogger said I could not have the title but there it is so who is to fight it?
I am David Lamb - and I run.
Those are two things that really would have not gotten together in a sentence in a very long time. Running and Lambs just don't mix. If you know me, and you are likely to know a lot more about me - you will know that I was never much of a distance runner. Distance was measured in the length of my foot connecting with the pavement and thus propelling me forward. The goal was to get to another place different from where I was or maybe the same depending on my mood.
Lets talk about running. Running (or for purists - jogging) is something that would not be entertaining or theraputic.
I have found out that it is both.
I have found out that there is something found amongst your soul - when you are out on a trail or a road and you are just with you.
I am not talking about the running club or the training group. What you meet out on the road of the run is you. You.
I meet myself every morning when I roll out of bed strap on my non-"Five Fingers" shoes of which I cannot remember the actual line but it comes to be that it is "Brooks Adrenalin" and we go off on our way to another distance. We is me - and the only one that can beat me is me.
I live in Utah - so it seems that one would find runs wherever he might happen to take his clothed feet.
That is truth. Running is everywhere you look.
I think that I can put most of the responsibility on me. I realized that when I was fat - and how that felt and how was I going to deal with me. I could let the pants out, visit the doctor for cardiac drug, start with the insulin pump, and eat red meat to my hearts content.
Or.
I could do something about me. I could do something about what I was and what I wanted to become. You see I am responsible for me and you are not. I am the one that is vested with my interest. You are not. It is the same for you as it is for me. I have no power over what you do and what you become. That is your trip and you are the pilot. So getting back to me.
I figured out that if I could go and run that that would be good for me. Nobody ever told me that running was good for you and I had the same thoughts you have. "That guy is running in the: A. Rain B. Snow. C. Both D. Heat or in Utah E. All of the above. And it seems that he is enjoying it and has lost all connection with the real world."
That is all true. You see me and I see you but the difference is that I am with me and I am telling myself that I should: "Quit being a baby" or "hey if you push it a little bit around this corner for the last mile you might crack a 7 minute mile."
I might have done some things in my short trot on earth - but running is not one of them that I can take back.
So if you are willing to sit with me for a bit I will tell you some tales and bring you back some stories of myself. I don't intend to inspire or to help you in anyway. I am getting this off of my chest - out of my head, and onto a medium that you can read.
Welcome to Fat Man Running.


2 comments:

  1. Feels good to get it off your chest, doesn't it? You've inspired me. Off to the gym!! While I think I would have pushed everyone in the stroller and made Davy run beside me at some point, today is not that day. Today I just need to escape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thoughts... of course when baby lamb gets here I will have to push the stroller for increased cardio...

    ReplyDelete